The second of Jack's birthday parties (his "real" party) could not have gone better. I am still in shock...The party was held at the little gym where we did a tumbling class this summer. Having discussed ad nauseum with my friends Sara and Alexis how reluctant we were to host such a generic party devoid of any creativity, the convenience factor won us all over. Not having to prepare your house for 10 toddlers and 25 adults or (and here's the important part) clean up when they all leave is worth its weight in gold. Besides, Jack truly loves the place.
At Jack's request, we had a Curious George quasi-theme. The bananas that were purely decorative balloon weights ended up being the hit of the party.
And the kids all had a total blast, including Jack, who seemed to know that it was his birthday party. Normally Jack is very reserved in group settings but not this day. He was a total ham. Then again, how bad can it be when there's a ball pit, a zip line, swings, a trampoline, etc etc? In fact, several of us were speculating how much fun the adults would have had if we had been allowed to serve booze.
So I survived the birthday party with a plastic table cloth, pizza, and juice boxes. And I learned that even though I obsess over details that a human being should never care about, none of it matters if the kids are happy. Yes, the cake was not at all what I asked for but at the end of the day, it tasted fantastic so who am I to interfere with the "artistic vision" of the cake decorator?
Oh, and this year, no one burned a finger on the candle...
No comments:
Post a Comment