Saturday, November 22, 2008

Happy Birthday Baby


Friday was Jack's second birthday. In some ways it seems inconceivable to me that he is already two years old. And yes, I have called my mother to apologize for rolling my eyes every time she began a sentence with "I feel like it was just yesterday that..." In some ways, I feel like it's been longer than two years since he came into the world in the middle of a Nor'easter. So it was only fitting (at least to me) that his birthday began with snow falling. Snow. In Norfolk. In November. Granted, it stuck to nothing and it was probably more of a mushy wet snow, but it was snow nonetheless. So I couldn't really blame him when I hauled him outside, told him it was snowing and he looked at me like I was completely insane and said, "rain mommy."

In Jack's short life, he has not had great luck with birthdays. Last year he was relatively cranky for his birthday party (leaving me with no good first birthday pictures - every mother's nightmare) but crankiness escalated into hysteria when, having been presented with his enormous, adorable and delicious cake, Jack stuck his finger right in front of the burning candle. Okay, you might be thinking that, yes, we are really bad parents. And fair enough. But seriously, no one sees that coming. Every other child who had turned one that fall had not gone anywhere near the candle so why would we think Jack would? As it turns out, he likely just scared himself as opposed to actually burning his finger but it certainly did NOT lead to any good pictures.

Anyway, this year we celebrated his actual birthday with a family dinner. Sadly for Jack, he has been fighting a cold for the last two weeks and actually had a fever on Thursday. So he was pretty much feeling like a sack of ____ [I'm supposed to be watching my language - fill in the blank yourself]. Add to that 9 noisy adults and lots of presents (albeit awesome ones) and he was not a happy camper. He definitely didn't want to blow out his candles (see above paragraph for possible explanation) and he barely wanted any cake.


So birthday number 2 had no good pictures either. I will say all the adults seemed to have a roaring good time, but that might have more to do with the adult beverages being consumed.




Today we started moving the furniture out of our guest bedroom, or Jack's new room as we've been calling it for a couple of months now. I imagine he will be sorely disappointed when he finds out that his new room does not come with the printer/scanner/copier that is in there now.

Hopefully his actual birthday party tomorrow will be a greater success.

1 comment: