Christmas is more than a holiday in my house; it's a state of mind. If it were up to me, the Christmas season would start in October and last through January. I love everything about it - the decorations, the smells, the traditions, the gaiety and the anticipation.
Consequently, I have (or, more precisely, had) Christmas down to a science. This changes dramatically with two small people in the house.
Step 1: Pick out a tree. Without a doubt, this is the essence of Christmas. Growing up, Peter and I had little 3 foot trees in our bedrooms. I had a full size Christmas tree in my dorm room each year at Yale. Probably a fire hazard but what was a girl to do? In law school, my heart always won out over my sensibilities, leading to several 8 or 9 foot trees that had to be hacked off when it became apparent that they wouldn't actually fit in the living room. Picking out a tree was once a painstaking and tedious process of balancing height against width, testing needle strength, and finally, the all important smell test. As you might imagine, this often involved several trips to several different nurseries. God bless Billy for putting up with me.
Step 2: Decorate the house. I have four huge boxes with various snowmen, santas and other Christmas paraphernalia. Each item has its own place. Unfortunately, as soon as I had decked the house, 4 little hands undecked it.
Step 3: Decorate the tree. Over the years, the act of tree trimming had evolved into quite an event. I have been collecting ornaments ever since I was a little girl and had a real Christmas tree in my room. I am up to 7 ginormous boxes of ornaments. Tree trimming night used to be a slightly formal affair beginning at cocktail hour and ending before a late dinner. Sometimes we invited others to join us but most of the time we did it ourselves because I am particular about where my ornaments go on the tree. I play specific Christmas songs (Bing is always a must) because they conjure such specific memories for me. All this makes me sound beyond obsessive compulsive and I totally accept that.
What made it all the more nauseating was hearing the sickening thud in the middle of the night that can only mean one thing: the tree has fallen down. This was the second time we had such a disaster (the first being our inaugural Christmas in the house). So at three in the morning, Billy and I found ourselves downstairs, cleaning up shards of glass, mopping up tree water from the oriental rug and wrestling the tree upright again. We spoke not a word to each other because, frankly, neither one of us is at our best first thing in the morning, much less the middle of the night. Why did we not wait until morning you ask? If you have any experience with toddlers you know that saying "Stay in the other room while we clean up this mess" is not ever successful....
So yes, this year required a little ... tweaking to my preparations. My decorations are all at least 4 feet off the ground and the tree, having been decorated twice, is definitely bottom heavy. But I wouldn't trade it for the world.
'Tis the season!
No comments:
Post a Comment