Sunday, July 5, 2009

Road Trip!

Last weekend we went to visit our friends (and Jack's godmomma) in Baltimore. Doesn't seem too traumatic to take the kids up the road a couple of hours, does it? The kicker was that Billy was at a hearing in D.C. the week prior and instead of driving all the way home only to drive all the back, I just met him in Baltimore. Which meant that I had to organize, pack and drive the kids solo. I had a food bag with every individualized snack sold in grocery stores, two toy bags, a DVD player and 10 Thomas the Train videos - just for the car ride. On top of everything, I had several projects for work that kept me up until 2am the two nights prior to leaving. The anxiety nearly sent me over the edge. Some will no doubt think I am being a tad histrionic, but those with children will completely understand. Despite all that, we made it. In one piece. In excellent time. And the boys were complete angels. If we Episcopalians cared more about such things, I would have thanked a saint of some kind.

Anyway, first stop was the Baltimore Aquarium, which neither Billy nor I had been to since we were little. Just for the record, since it is unclear from the pictures, both boys were wearing sealife themed outfits. I told you - the pre-trip anxiety made me a little crazy.

Apparently the Aquarium did not notice that it was 92 degrees outside and thus did not care to air condition the building and the millions of people shoved into it. There are a few things that are entirely unacceptable to me in a civilized society. Unairconditioned buildings top the list. Nonetheless, Jack and his sweaty head loved it all.

So much so, in fact, that he fell asleep in the car with his hand in the goldfish...


Then we made it to Scott and Catherine's where Jack was able to tell his godsister Elli all about having a sibling. She seemed pretty cool with the idea. Then again, she's cool with just about everything. Perhaps I am incredibly biased since she is my goddaughter, but Elli is the kind of child you picture yourself having when you're a little girl playing with dolls. She has such a beautiful face and a disposition to match.

On Saturday, we went to the B&O Railroad Museum. I cannot tell you how fabulous this place was. Again, I might be a little biased since I am theoretically still a railroad girl, but if you are ever in the vicinity of Baltimore, you must go. We got to take a ride on a passenger car attached to a real locomotive;


we got to go inside several locomotives and a caboose;

we got to see model railroads;


But the show stopper wasthe restored roundhouse which has a a collection of 20 or so locomotives, original and replicas.



I am not sure who had more fun - Jack or me.

Saturday night we picked crabs on the back deck, drank way too much (well the boys did at least) and laughed even more.

It was the perfect night with perfect friends. Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment