Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Back to School

It seemed hardly fair that the last two days of summer involved torrential rains, especially when the summer has been so beautiful. At least Jack got some use out of his adorable, if somewhat cumbersome, ducky rain coat.


For the first time, I felt some anxiety about sending the kids back to school. Maybe it was because we had had such a fun summer together. Maybe it was because Will might very well be our last baby and I wasn't sure I was ready to give him up yet. Maybe it's because I feel like I'm going to blink and it will be the first day of first grade (get your hankies ready now). But I know how much Jack loves school and, more importantly, how much he gets out of it. He has grown so much since his first day two years ago (mentally and socially, not vertically. Seriously.). And so off to school we went...

This is Jack on his first day, happy and excited. This face is what reminded me I was doing the right thing.

He ran into his room before I could make it down the hall and immediately got down to the business of playing with his friends. I barely got a farewell hug out of him before I left.


And this apparently is one of the things he learned on his first day of school.



Boys...

I got a little reprieve, with Will at least, who was sick that first week of school and so stayed home with me for a few extra days. In the course of that week, I was reminded how much we love GUMP and what a phenomenal place it is for children. It's more than a preschool - it's a real family. The director, the teachers, the parents and the children are all so ... warm and fuzzy. And so when Will was better, I dropped him off in the Baby Bunnies room with the two most marvelous teachers - women who were meant to be in charge of an infant room (a rare breed indeed). He cried for the first three days and has been happy as a clam at high tide ever since. Here is on his first day getting a good luck hug from big brother...


It is a rare gift to know that when you are able to leave your children somewhere where they are loved as much as they are at home. It's the best feeling in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment