Thursday, June 18, 2009

Duct tape really does fix everything

A couple of weeks ago, Jack decided it would be humorous, nay hilarious, to take off his diaper at nap time. It all started out innocently enough. One Saturday, we had been at the pool all morning and he was hyped up on adrenaline and lemonade. So during naptime, he read his books in his crib and jumped up and down - nothing new. When I went up to get him finally, he was standing there naked as a jaybird and loudly proclaimed "Mommy - I took my diaper off!" When I noticed his bed was wet, I asked him if he had peed and he replied "I peed all over everything!" His voice was filled with such glee I couldn't help but laugh hysterically. Unwilling to let him see me laughing for fear it would encourage him, I put my head in my hands. Jack clearly thought I was crying because he patted me on the head and said, in the same cheerful voice, "It'll be okay mommy - I won't do it again!"

Apparently that was a big fat lie. Every time he was a little hyped up, he'd rip that diaper off in a heartbeat. The little Houdini even managed to take off his diaper without removing his clothes. The real low point came when he stuck his hand down his pants, found some poop, and smeared some of it on the crib railings. Billy was frankly surprised that the children were alive when he came home that evening.

I was at a loss. Jack is honestly so easy to parent because he responds so well to reasoning and logic that I've never had a real problem. This time, he didn't care when I told him why it was important to keep his diaper on. He didn't care when I offered him M&M's as a reward for staying clothed. He didn't care when I used the dreaded "I am so disappointed in you." In fact, in what I perceive to be the first instance of true mocking, he greeted me with a cheery "You're disappointed in me!" when I retrieved him after another naked nap one day.

So I finally started duct taping his diaper on. And although he makes a slightly crinkly sound now when he rolls over, his diaper stays on. Mission accomplished.

No comments:

Post a Comment